ABL careersEngineering Apprenticeship
Air Bearings Limited (ABL) are a world leading innovative manufacturer of air bearing solutions, used across the engineering spectrum; whilst we are based in Ferndown (Dorset), we provide real world solutions globally.
We are currently recruiting for an Engineering Apprentice to join us at a busy and exciting time; we are looking for someone with a genuine interest in learning manual turning and CNC programming, interested in developing their career within a precision engineering environment.
Want to learn more about what an apprenticeship with ABL looks like? Go to our Careers homepage to hear our apprentices past and present describe their experience.
Note: We are recruiting apprentices for September 2023 course enrolment and may also consider applicants currently undertaking their apprenticeship course (in year 1 or 2).
What ABL will offer you?
- Competitive Pension Scheme (6% company contribution, subject to eligibility)
- 190 hours plus bank/public holidays (equivalent to 33 days)
- Long Service Holidays
- Employee Assistance Program
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Free Parking
- Sick Pay
- External Training Opportunities
- Short Week (38 hours per week, Mon-Thurs, No weekends)
- Flexible starting times
- Overtime Available (paid at time & half)
- Fantastic career development and progression opportunities
- A friendly and supportive environment to work in
What will the role involve?
You will be mentored by experienced engineers, who will teach you how to set, operate and program turning machines, to produce precision engineering components. You will work directly for ABL whilst undertaking your Level 3 Engineering Technician Apprenticeship through a local provider, with one day per week set aside to study for the duration of the course.
- You will learn all aspect of operating, setting and programming machinery
- You will learn how to produce precision engineering products in line with customer specifications and to pre-determined deadlines
- Successful applicants will have an interest in CNC machinery and good IT skills
- Ensuring all work carried out complies with health and safety requirements as laid down by the company and by external bodies.
Apprenticeship Course Information:
- Level 3 Engineering Technician Apprenticeship duration is usually 4 years (48 months)
- You will receive training on the job and will attend college 1 day per week
- You must consider the travel time and expenses to get to ABL and the training provider (provider to be confirmed upon further discussion with applicants).
- You must be committed to undertaking all requirements for the apprenticeship set by ABL and the training provider.
What tolerance will I learn to work towards?
You will learn to work to the tolerance of up to 1 micron – so if you want to be skilled in precision engineering – this is the role for you!
What will you require?
- Aged 16 or over and not in full time education
- Right to work in the UK
- Access to own transport to travel to ABL and college provider
- GCSE (or equivalent) grade 4/C in Maths and English, or level 2 Functional Skills, to meet the entry requirements of the apprenticeship programme. GCSE (or equivalent) grade 4/C in Science also required.
- A keen interest in developing your career in CNC machining
- Able and committed to obtaining your Level 3 Engineering Technician qualification
- Able to attend college release days for the duration of the course
- Be a Self-motivated team player
- Ability to communicate effectively and clearly with employees at all levels
- IT literate
If you are interested in any of our positions, or require further information, please apply or email our HR Manager Anoushka Dawson. HR@airbearings.co.uk
Air Bearings Ltd
Unit A Nimrod Way
East Dorset Trade Park
Ferndown, Dorset BH21 7HZ
+44 (0)1202 680 805
Make an Enquiry
Click here to contact us and enquire about our services